Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hague Rules Stink

Well I realize you non-adoption world people don't really understand, but I am putting this out there for all the others. HAGUE rules stink for the babies!! My sweet and happy little girl cried her little heart today at the medical appointment.

Since she is a Hague baby she has to be completely current on her immunizations before she is allowed to enter the US. So she had to get 5 shots today all at once. One in each leg and then 2 in one arm and 1 in the other arm. And trust me they aren't too gentle with the babies either. It was bad enough that they had to have 2 doctors examining her heart as they wanted to make sure that I understood she still has a heart murmur. I told them I already knew that and then they seemed Ok to complete the paperwork. Faith cried and cried and cried like we have never heard her cry :( It was so sad.


I gave her some Tylenol before we left for the shots, and then had a full body ready for her afterwards. She was wiped out after all of that and went right to sleep sucking the bottle. We then finished up the paperwork with our guide and paid the rest of our adoption monies. Oh and by the way if you are a Hague case be prepared to fork over some extra $$ for the required shots. The shots were $50USD each! Crazy. I had to dig into my shopping funds for those and my poor baby had to suffer with them-NOT FUN!


I realized that Shelby wore the exact same outfit as Faith had on today for her medical appointment last year. Too funny! Faith is just a big as Shelby was last year. Faith weighed in today at 21 pounds...big baby as everyone keeps pointing out to me. I happen to just LOVE my big baby :) Here are the 2 side by side on their medical appointment days in China. What sweet memories both of my girls are going to be able to share a lifetime full of :)




Also, if you notice there were no other adoptive families at the doctor today. That goes to show you how much adoptions have slowed down from China. Notice in the pics from Shelby's appointment last year that the place was packed and last year we used to always see a line outside of the clinic. This year, they literally had to turn the lights on for us when we arrived at the room marked for international adopted children. So strange at the dramatic difference.

Sheila and I spent the day with Ann from www.redthreadchina.com shopping-YEAH! We took the girls and had a great time. We are even going again tomorrow afternoon. CJ hung out with the boys and had a lazy day on the island. We are about to go to the park for the 800th time it seems. We sure are ready to come home!!

12 comments:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

I'm so sad about the shots. I did know to expect that, but sure does seem expensive (for China)! Sure is too bad. So, do you know if the Hague actually approves the dosage and meds that they give these kids? I hate to think that she will have to repeat them in the US...

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Donna: Oh boy, what a mess. You are such a good Mama! You made me cry last year, saying goodbye to Shelby's foster family and the look on your face makes me weepy too. Have a great time and get me some shoes, would you? Frannie is size 6 :) Love ya, Ellen

Heather said...

awe--poor Faith! Big hugs to her! So glad to read your updates--and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and insight with us.

We're sending prayers for a fast, smooth, and comfortable as can be trip home!

Can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Hague totally stinks. Less babies will be adopted and more babies will never meet a forever family. I have never been behind Hague. It is one of those things that looks good on paper and is horrible in reality.
Just my thoughts
Liz

Anonymous said...

Know you was hurting for baby Faith. Glad she had the comfort of her Mom. Praying for you All. Counting down the days till you're
all home safe. Love Nana

Anonymous said...

So sad for little one! I am sure all her limbs are going to be hurting!! Is it o.k. for Faith to have cold medicine with the heart murmur? I know when Madison had hers she couldn't have any antihistimes and certain cold meds. Anyways, still holding ya'll up in prayer! - Rhonda

Anonymous said...

That's the VERY FIRST time that we've seen her when she did not appear to be happy...glad that's over for her (and you)!

Is Sheila actually getting tired of shopping??? ha.

We're anxiously awaiting your return.

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Donna I emailed you a question!!

Anonymous said...

Medical exam crying notwithstanding, Faith looks fabulous (as does your haircut). There is something different about Faith ... she seems "settled" and very intent/attached to you already. Her joy seems purer.

Meryl (P.S. Found out today that we are probably going to receive Willow Noelle ChunQi on the 29th, a day early). I really want you to stay another couple of weeks :)

The Evans Family said...

Poor, sweet Faith. I hate to hear of the unnecessary immunizations! How many other babies have gone home with the promise we would take care of their shots???

The changes are so sad for the children of China. So many need homes and not only the Hague but other reasons are putting up roadblocks.

Faith looks so different from just days ago--she is transitioning so well!

Duchess of Lanier said...

Sweet baby girl!

Couldn't WE receive the shots in their places?

Or pay $100 NOT to have the shots? Glad it's over and smart of you to have already the tylenol. Note to self.

Happy Shopping! Glad to hear you found your size however badly its size was mislabeled!

RamblingMother said...

Ouch! poor baby!