Monday, November 19, 2007

Work in Progress

Well today we are up at 3:30am, but that isn't too bad since we went to sleep at 8PM. So that is 7 hours of sleep-which is a good thing. Yesterday was close to a normal day as the boys went to school and CJ went off to work. Shelby and I did a whole lot of running around here and there most of the day. We took Caleb to school, then Travis to school. Then we had to go get the cupcakes for Caleb's school birthday celebration (that I forgot to make) and delivered them back to Caleb's school. We made a napping visit to my dad's house, and then we were back off to Travis' school for Thanksgiving luncheon. Finally we were headed home and got a call from the school nurse that Caleb was sick and throwing up. Yeah! So we went back to his school to pick him up (I think just more jet lag). Finally we picked Travis up from Carol and we were home. So we all crashed early at 8PM :)

Oh and we got a call from Caleb's teacher last night to have Caleb bring in a picture of Shelby and where his Chinese big brother shirt because he is going to get to be on the big school TV in the morning to show her off and talk about his trip to China. So he is very excited about the big event for him.

I wanted to update everyone on our "work in progress" with Shelby and her attaching to us. She still will not look me directly in the eyes when I am holding her. She also still won't let CJ hold her yet. She has started to play more and more with CJ and she does go up and touch him on her own. She loves to run from him and giggles and giggles when he chases her. She is doing much better with Travis and even plays with him alot now. She was too cute yesterday when we arrived at his school and all the kids were sitting in circle time, she jumped out of my arms and ran right over to Travis and sat down in his lap. She doesn't even swat him "every" time she sees him-just maybe half the time ;) She still loves on Caleb and lets him do things for her most of the time. To the outside world, she looks very attached to me and I am grateful that she does want to come to me for comfort. However, I do know that for her true attachment takes time and we are taking our time. I love her with all my being and feel like she has been my daughter forever. Some people mention that their attachment to their adopted children took time as well; however, I truly feel completely "attached" and in true love with my precious little girl. She is everything and more that I could have ever dreamed of for a daughter. So please keep praying for her adjustments and that her love for us will continue to grow over time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - busy, busy Mom! Welcome back to the "real" world! ha.

From my observations, I definitely feel the attachment to your whole family has begun. We need to ALL try to remember that you've only had her a couple of weeks...and we MUST give Shelby time...it will all come together eventually.

She is truly a little "China Doll"!

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

We are home almost 4 months and still see daily improvements! Don't you just love the PINK?

Laura said...

Donna,

Thank you so much for blogging while you were gone. It has been wonderful to read your words of honesty.

I am thrilled for you and your family and will continue to pray for you all!

Laura

Tammy said...

Welcome HOME! I know God has already blessed you and will continue to bind all of your hearts together! How blessed she is, and you all are, as well, to have each other!

Angela and Jay said...

Welcome home and we're praying for you all as Shelby adjusts to her new home. It does take time. I've noticed such a difference in Laney over the past couple of months.

Can't wait to meet Shelby!

Unknown said...

So glad that attachment is going more smoothly than expected. Can't wait to meet her.