Thursday, November 8, 2007

Said goodbye to Ahmu today

What a great day we have had so far. Shelby woke up all smiles and of course she had to be dressed up perfectly for her visit to the orphanage today. As you can see, she was in a great mood this morning and posing and playing for the pics. She let CJ feed her again this morning, yeah!


Then we were off to Yongning Social Welfare Institute. She fell asleep on the way there and her foster father met us immediately as we turned into the gate. He jumped inside the van and started calling her name and trying to snatch her from me. I had our guide ask him to back off a bit so she could wake up. She did wake up and then went to him. Then her foster mom showed up and of course Shelby preferred her and was so happy to see her. Her foster mom was very strong and did not cry or anything to upset Shelby. It was a wonderful experience! We asked a bunch of questions and just let Shelby sit with her and the foster dad who kept taking her with protest from her Ahmu. Her foster mom kept telling Shelby to come to me, but I told our guide to tell her that she did not need to come to me until we were ready to leave. Her foster mom really enjoyed seeing her again. Shelby played with her foster brother as well. As you can tell he has not been adopted yet as originally thought by my guide.


Of course it was eventually time to go and at the time we went to the van, Shelby's foster dad was holding her so I asked our guide to have him give her back to her Ahmu so that her Ahmu could be the one to finally hand her over to me. She did and of course we all cried but it wasn't terrible. Shelby broke down a bit in the van and had one of her short grieving episodes; however, it did not last very long. Shelby knows now that her Ahmu knows where she is and accepts her being with us. Her foster mom said that she had tried to prepare her by showing her pictures and telling her that she was going to go to America when we came for her. This visit was a good thing and I am so glad we did it. My heart and head were on straight before, during, and after the visit thanks to all of the BTDT parents who commented and helped me prepare accordingly.


After the visit, we went to McDonald's for lunch-again. And then we went to Wal-mart for a few things and back to Parkson's which is where they have this indoor playground that the boys played on a few days ago. This time, however, Shelby played too! (Lori-she is ready for our favorite place :) She has really started to come out of her shell and she is starting to trust us more and more. She played and laughed and giggled in the playroom. She even let me go outside the playroom area and sit and just wait for her.

I do feel that the visit to her Ahmu gave her a bit of closure and assurance that she needed to be OK with her new family. Thank you to everyone who have wished us well and sent comments and gave tips and ideas and of course a special thanks to anyone and everyone who has sent up an extra prayer for us during this amazing journey. His Hands are truly all over our family!

14 comments:

Mei Mei Journal said...

Thank you so much for sharing this experience. You handled it with grace. We will likely have the opportunity to meet with our 2 year old daughter's foster parents.

April

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

What an amazing story! We are just so happy for ALL involved. Hope all goes well as you transition to Guangzhou! Our friends, the Millers, leave this morning!!!

Dan and Liz said...

God IS Good Praise and Glory to God for you and your family and this blog.
Liz and Michelle Caixing

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that so many people gave you such good advice that have been through this so it helped you to make the decision to go to see the FM and I am so glad that things went well with the visit. Funny you should mention McDonald's... We went there last night and all of us said "It feels weird that Donna's not here" So of course since you were at McDonald's we were at McDonald's IMAGINE that we did something alike again!!!!!

Anonymous said...

To God Be The Glory...GREAT Things He Has Done!! We are so happy that all went well!!

Love and Blessings,
Shad and Mary Goltz

Kim said...

So happy to see that all went well with the visit. Shelby and the boys look so happy playing - they truly are siblings with a strong bond. Hugs and kisses to all.

Heather said...

You're right-God's hands have been all over your family. We're so happy for you all! I can't read your posts without tears in my eyes!

Anonymous said...

We're so glad that everything went so well for all of you today - the foster dad's actions surprised me. Shelby looks very happy with all of you! I read your blog at 5:05 a.m. but didn't respond then so I could go back to sleep!! Won't be long and you'll all be home.

Love, Dad and Sandy

Anonymous said...

I Love the Smiles!!! Our Father has sure Helped You through so much in just a few short days. The Perfect Straight Family!!! God Bless and God Speed to You all. I Love You and can hardly wait to see You All.I am so glad You will have these pictures for Shelby. I can see it was a tearful time but I am Happy for You ALL! Love and Prayers to all. Mom

Anonymous said...

I see the teenage daughter didn't come, probaly was best. Praise God that everything went well. I did cry when I saw the picture of you crying. Love the outfit you picked out for her to wear.
-Rhonda

Chrissy Bruso said...

CJ and Donna, it is incredible to see how God has worked so powerfully in your lives as He brought Shelby to you. I am very proud of your faith as you met Shelby's Ahmu and your confidence with her foster father. Go God!! Sincerely, Chrissy Alberi (HOPE for Children)

Anonymous said...

Pictures, pictures and more pictures....we love 'em .. can't get enough of 'em!!! She is REALLY beautiful when she smiles!!

Give our boys (and our girl) a big hug from us.

Love and blessings to all!

Anonymous said...

Thank You for the good news update. I'm so glad things were positive because I had to read it to Mom and you know I can't read anything about this journey without crying. Luckily I didn't have to explain the pictures!

Love,
Sheila

Ladyblog said...

what an amazing journey. I am so glad that the visit went well. You will have a wonderful story to share as your daughter grows.