Friday, November 2, 2007

Touring Day

It is 3pm here in China and we are finally back to the hotel for a nap before our Acrobatic show tonight. The guide will pick us up at 6pm from the hotel. So everyone is taking a nap except for me as I am going to try to stay awake all day so I am not up again at 4am. I hope I don't fall asleep in the show tonight. Lucky for you all, I have nothing to do but blog ;)

We had a terrific day touring lots of different things today. The best advice I can give anyone for coming to Beijing is to hire your own private driver/guide. We have been able to do what we want-when we want. We started the day off at Tinnamen Square where the boys bought some little string kites. We walked around and by the way-it was perfect weather today and clear blue skies-great for touring. Anyway, we went through the square and then onto the Forbidden City where we quickly tired out of walking and kind of skipped through to the other side. It was pretty neat to see though. Then we were off to Caleb's favorite attraction-McDonald's! It was very funny to see our guide trying to order for us there, as she has never been there-WHAT?!? Needless to say I was much better at ordering from that menu as she was very amused at the Happy Meal concept that comes with the "free" toy. Funny. We enjoyed our Big Macs and fries and then we went next door for our big shopping adventure. We bought CJ a watch for about $5 and an alarm clock for about $5.

Next we were off to the highly recommended Hutong Tour via a rickshaw ride. This was alot of fun and very interesting. We were able to then go inside a family's home and visit a real life everyday China home and family. The boys really enjoyed this part of the trip. I couldn't help but think alot about Shelby today seeing this family and alot of other families and the way they live everyday in China. I felt very sad about taking her away from all of this deep culture and traditions here in China. I really hope to some day bring her back so she can experience and see where she was born and what type of life she may have lived her first 2 years of life. Even though I was feeling a little bit guilty about taking her away from all of this, at the same time I felt so relieved that she would not have to live like that. Very weird to have all of these conflicting emotions. I do love that I was able to get some great pics for her to see in the future.


Speaking of pics I am sure that is what you all want to see, so I will wrap up by posting a few from today. Only 2 more sleeps until my baby is finally in my arms!

12 comments:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Hey guys! Did the boys get a Chairman Mau watch/clock? Our girls thought those were the funniest things ever... has McD's ever tasted do good? HA HA!

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing traveling Momma- I took the naps-As you missed your nap- I am sure you will be asleep before you post again. May your dreams be peaceful and pleasant. You are so ready for the adventure with Shelby. We talked last night about everyone's personal journey/ story that God weaves for us. Thank you for sharing yours. Your family is absolutely beautiful and God is smiling at you at this very moment. Less than two days to go. Michelle and I are waiting to see those pics.
She loves the pics of your boys at her favorite place McDs- already so American after 2 months and 2 weeks.
Michelle Caixing and Liz

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures and your updates. I can't wait for you to get home and tell all of us about each and everyone. I am so glad to see that you all (especally Caleb) got to eat something familar. I am getting so excited for you for Mon. to get here. I still can't believe that your in China and that your FINALLY going to get your Shelby Baby!!! I am praying for you everyday. I miss our talks everyday so get Shelby and get back here!!!

Unknown said...

you are the greatest bloggger in the world..You know what pictures we really are looking forward to, right?

Praying for all of you

Special K said...

We missed you last night, but understand that you have more important things to do.... LOL!

We're living vicariously though you. Keep the posts and pictures coming!

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Donna: I had not commented b/c I didn't know whether you could read them or not! I have been thinking of you hourly and praying for you, CJ and the boys. The puking story made me laugh -- poor kid. I'm jealous that you got a cold day on the Great Wall, we were boiling! Have a blast! God bless, Ellen

Linda said...

I am so proud for you and i have never seen so many smiles. travel to shelby is in your hearts. god bless you all.Love the pic's good job!!!
if you find time give me a call about caleb's birthday. I LOVE YOU ALL SOOO MUCH Mom

susaneller said...

Dear Caleb,

My mom is letting me read about your adventures in China. I liked how you got to go on the great wall of China! It was really cool. Can't wait to meet your new sister at cubscouts!

Jacob Eller

The Evans Family said...

What an adventure you are all having. I'm so glad you didn't skip the time in Beijing. Not only are you having fun but by the time you get Shelby you will be ready for that challenge!

We leave in 6 days and reading your blog has increased our excitement 10 fold! Can't wait for Gotcha Day!

Laura said...

Thank you for the wonderful updates! I can't stop checking your site! Can't wait to see pictures of that beautiful girl in her momma's arms!

Love,

Laura Hoffman

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Just a little FYI (since you are as far away in the time zone arena as possible) - our clocks turn back tonight! Now you will be 13 hours ahead of US! L

Anonymous said...

The pictures are just GREAT! Can't wait to see all of you with "my Shelby Baby"!!!

Caleb and Travis will be wonderful Big Brothers. They are blessed that they could actually be there with you and CJ to enjoy the experience.

Love to all!