Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oh the little things...

Ok, now is when this non-traveled person starts to worry about the little things. First thing I have been thinking about is tipping in China. We are going to have a tour guide/driver pick us up everyday in Beijing and take us to the hotel, sight seeing, etc. So how much do you tip them everyday?? Then once we get to our province we will have the agency's guide the whole time and I would assume a driver there as well. Do you tip the driver daily? Do you wait and tip your guide at the very end of the entire trip? How much should you tip? I have at least figured out that you don't tip inside the restaurants (one less thing to worry about). So I am looking for some advice in all this tipping chaos in my head.

Next little thing I am concerned about is the whole gift giving thing. I know everyone says not to stress over this and thank you to Kim for her list of ideas. BUT, do you really just hand the foster family who has opened their home and their HEARTS and given your child her whole life for the last 2 years -only 10 bucks?!? That doesn't sound right to me?? I am cool with the other gifts I am supposed to bring as that is not a big deal since those people don't really care what I bring them. I am just torn about the whole foster family gift. Anyone out there who would care to help me out in these "little things" would be certainly appreciated. Thanks!

4 comments:

Alex S said...

Hi there, I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for the link to our website, you have driven some raffic our way and we appreciate it =)

RamblingMother said...

As far as gifts for the foster family goes, you will never give them enough. It is impossible and everything will seem inadequate. Just give something from your heart and it will be appreciated.

Beverly

Cristy said...

For the foster family, we put a red envelope with a large anount of money in the bottom of the gift bag that was filled with trinkets. The hope was that if the director saw trinkets, he would go ahead and pass it on to them, because you never really know if they get it or not. I figured although impersonal, the could definitely use the cash.

For the guide, our agency told us what to pay per day for and the guide told us how much to tip the drivers. If you don't know, ask your guide on tipping others, they do this day in and day out. I think we paid $10 USD per day for the guides.

I know you are counting the days to you hold that beautiful girl of yours!

Unknown said...

I hope you'll get some good advice. I'll be interested to read as well.

Thanks for all of your sweet blog comments and encouragement. They are appreciated.

I am finally returning to the blog world...what else does one do at 3:46 AM!?