Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How's It Really Going?

So some of you have called and asked, “So how is it really going?”.  Answer to that is that I think it really is going OK.  Maybe it is because I set my expectations really LOW before leaving for China-LOL.  I really really really expected Ian to have a lot of issues adapting to his new life as a Straight.  Fortunately, I haven’t seen very many of those issues from him.  Now granted I know we are still in the “honeymoon” period, but honestly this hasn’t been nearly as tough as I expected it to be.

 

Now with that said, I don’t want you all to think it has been fairytales and roses either.  Ian has his moments for sure.  He is just like any other child and when he doesn’t get his way, he lets me know it.  He doesn’t have any problems telling me NO when he doesn’t want to do something.  Then when I let him know he doesn’t get a choice in the matter, he pouts and is on the verge of tears.  He stays that way until we move onto something else. 

 

Ian has been crying himself to sleep every night for the past week.  I moved a mattress into my room, so he is sleeping beside me on the floor.  Ian really wants to sleep in the bed with me, but I have had to stay tough about not letting him do that.  I just can’t go through another “bed removal” from my kids.  Maybe that is bad adoptive mothering on my part, but I just can’t do that again.  Ian knows he is safe. I think the night time just reminds him of all his life changes and gives him a chance to process things-which creates the tears.

 

Communication hasn’t been bad at all.  I think we communicate with each other quite well considering we don’t speak the same language.  I was also really worried about this area, but so far it hasn’t been a problem.  I usually know what he wants (and doesn’t want) most of the time.  I have used Google Translate a few times, but definitely not everyday.

 

Food is going OK too.  Ian isn’t very picky about what he eats.  I have found a few things that he really doesn’t like, but he usually at least tries everything I give him.  If I give him something he doesn’t like, he lets out one of his favorite English phrases…”Oh no!”.  Haha-he uses that one a lot.

 

Ian craves attention ALL.THE.TIME.  This has been quite draining on me.  He calls me about 788 times a day to see every little thing he is doing.  I know he hasn’t ever had this much attention paid to him, so he is really enjoying it now.  Problem is that it is wearing me down and can drive me batty at times.  I do the best I can and keep saying to myself “this too shall pass”.  Hoping it passes soon though ;)

 

So basically things are really going as well as I am showing on the blog.  I don’t sugarcoat here-STRAIGHT talk only from me.  So needless to say, things are well.  I am worn down after spending every single hour with Ian/kids for the past 4 weeks.  This working mom isn’t cut out to be a stay at home mom for sure.  I am back to work today, and happy about that J  I will be working some part time days throughout the summer so that I can spend time with the kids though.  However, yes I am happy to get a break and get back to work.

 

Thank you all for your comments and prayers during our time in China and transitioning back home.  Obviously they have all worked!!!

4 comments:

Rob said...

Thanks for sharing. Answered all the questions I was gonna email you to ask! Glad he's doing well overall, will be praying for energy for his mom! ;)

Beth and Ryan said...

Love it! Glad all is well! Now, call me when you decide to homeschool :) HA!

K said...

What kind of childcare arrangements do you have while you work?

While it's quite normal to having crying at bedtime, and some do cry every night, I see that your days are busy. Perhaps putting Ian to bed earlier will help so he won't be so tired. I know this worked with my daughter.

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO thankful to hear from you and know things are going well. I don't think having him sleep beside you is bad at all. The crying to sleep is very hard to watch! I can certainly relate to the 788 times he calls you to look at what he is doing~ WP still does that too. :) Blessings and love !!!