Thursday, April 17, 2008

Progress Update

Well my little one is starting to feel better each and every day. Last night we had alot of smiles as she played with Caleb and her cousin Austin. We went to dinner and she ate alot again so that is a good thing.

Oh by the way, the other day she managed to get cheese stuck in her stitches in the very center of her palate that the doctor said would eventually "work its way out". We had given her a soft cheese stick for her school snack. So after that ordeal we were at KFC the other night and again feeding her "soft" foods, and she managed to wedge a glob of mashed potatoes and mac n cheese in the whole front part of her palate like a flat pancake of gunk up there that would not come out. I called all of my resource friends like Amy and Tina and Kathy to get their suggestions of how to get it out. Well after giving her alot to drink over and over again it was still in there. I even tried using that rubber syringe thing from the hospital to shoot water on it and nothing. So I just let her go to bed with it in there. She obviously picked at it with her tongue at night because half of it was gone by morning. I took her the next morning for breakfast where she ate a whole biscuit w/jelly and by the time that was down her everything was finally off her palate-whew! So now I see why the more liquid diet the better. I just don't know how you all do a straight liquid diet as she won't eat anything that is just plain liquids. So please keep praying that her palate will stay closed with all of these eating mishaps.

As far as Shelby's attachment issues with me we seem to be at least past the "angry" phase. That is definitely a good thing. We still aren't back to the trust level we used to be but each day I see some progress in this area. Last night for the first time in about 3 months, she actually cried for her Ahmu in China. It was so sad and it caught me by surprise. When we went to her bed she was just whining and whining but it was a different kind of whine. I kept asking her what was wrong or what did she want and she finally said Ahmu-heartbreaking. I held her and told her that her Ahmu missed her too and loved her very much. She eventually stopped crying and faded off to sleep without anger just sadness. I was really surprised but it makes perfect sense looking from the outside that she would go through this again. It is just really hard to watch your little one's heart ache for something that you can not give her :(

3 comments:

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Yikes! Don't make me cry for the 89th time this week! Poor little kid. I can't believe she still remembers, really. You are such a good and patient Mom. Thanks for your kind and supportive words. Can't wait to see you all tomorrow! xo Ellen

RamblingMother said...

Poor baby.

Beverly

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

That amazes me that she would pull that out -- just goes to show how alert their little brains are! Amazing - I'm sure glad to hear that each day is improving. I talked to Melissa last night - she was calm, but a little anxious. Hope SB did OK...