Friday, August 17, 2007

Share your story

I wanted to take a minute to really thank one of my new friends that has really been a part of our journey to Shelby. Her name is Tina Evans. I have only met her ONE time, but oh what the timing was for that one time meeting. See Tina is married to Dave Evans who is a friend of the Chapman's. I had seen Dave a couple of times at First Fridays, so I was aware of who he was. But I had never met his wife.

Well it was back in April and I was actively searching the Waiting Child lists on various agencies websites religiously everyday, and also researching a lot about different kinds of special needs. I had really been researching cleft lip/palate extensively since I felt that my next child would have this special need. I had been bringing home different articles and such for CJ about cleft kids as well since I felt such a strong pull towards this special need. CJ was getting more and more comfortable that this was something we could handle. Well it was a Friday, and I found out that CHI was about to release their next big list of Waiting Children. I quickly faxed in the early review request and I was very hopeful that our daughter would be on that list.

So anyway that Friday evening, Caleb was performing (clogging) at a school Fall Festival that was in another city and a real pain to drive to on a Friday night. But we went anyway for the sake of the "team". While we were there, I quickly spotted 2 Chinese children running around. Those of us who are adopting can spot them a mile away ;) I tracked them to their parents, and saw that it was Dave Evans! So CJ and I walked up to him and started talking to them about our plans for adoption, etc, etc. He was very nice and then Tina came over and we were introduced. We started explaining that we were going the Special Needs route and that we were just waiting to find our child on a list. Dave then told us that there youngest daughter was SN with a cleft palate. What are the odds?! Tina went on to explain a little bit about their daughter's special need and how managable it was.

They gave us great encouragement about our decision to go the SN route. Tina also said that their agency, CHI, was about to release a new big list of kids the next week. I could only laugh as this was the agency I had just finished telling CJ about that I was so excited about them getting a new list the next week. Tina had great things to say about her agency, and then she said that she liked them so much that they were adopting again! Tina and Dave had just sent their LOI in for their son Matthew who was found off of their agency's previous list. We were very excited for them and thanked them for being so nice to share their stories about their cleft affected daughter and now their new son. Tina was very personable and she said that if I ever had any questions about cleft, waiting children, adoption, etc, that she would be glad to speak to me. Little did she know just how soon I would take her up on her offer.

The very next week, 3 days after our encounter with the Evans, I found Shelby! She was not with CHI, but she was with Hope for Children. I found Shelby directly because another new friend, Heather, had shared her story with me earlier and I was simply following their journey to China to get Lily. (Another piece of the red thread- I will share later) Anyway, after finding Shelby and learning about her special needs, I knew I needed to talk to someone with experience- TINA!

Here I was really hoping to speak to a person I had only met for 15 minutes 3 days prior about alot of personal information about her own daughter. Whew, that is a lot to ask of someone! After a quick phone call to Susan- I had her phone number. Tina, as she promised, was more than happy to talk to me about Shelby. This was just the start of Tina's willingless to help guide me through the adoption of a cleft affected child.

So my point in this story, is for you to SHARE your story with others. You may have no idea who you will touch simply by sharing your adoption journey and story with others. I am sure that Heather and Kim and Susan and Tina had no idea at the time that they were truly a part of our red thread to Shelby. So thank you, thank you, thank you, to everyone of you who has the courage to share their story!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading stories and I have enjoyed sharing mine. YOu are awesome!!

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

What a wonderful testimony!!! I can't wait to meet Shelby. It was nice to meet you at the Chapman's. See you next time.
Amy

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

Just to let you know, I was just posting on your site, I finished and went back to mine and you were posting on mine at the same exact time....how interesting!!
Amy

Heather said...

We're hoping and praying for quick travel! We know just how you feel ~ it's amazing to watch HIS plans unfold.

Jennifer said...

I truley enjoyed reading your story. We are also using HOPE and they are such wonderful people to work with. After reading your story I noticed that the "red thread" was a clip off of our blog. My husband made it and he does not like to have "boring" looking stuff on our blog. Thanks for using it - I was suprised... :) Good luck on our journey and I will be sure to follow it!! :)

~Jen

Angela and Jay said...

Thanks for sharing your story! We can't wait until your miracle is in your arms! Hope to see you at the next FF!!