Thursday, August 23, 2007

Learning more and more

Everyone talks about the "WAIT" during adoption. You spend alot of time doing stuff (paperwork, ect), then you just sit and wait until you are told to do more stuff. So you really do the hurry and wait scenario over and over during the adoption process. So what have we been doing during the Wait. Well we have been trying to educate ourselves and our children on different things that we think we will need to know for Shelby's arrival. To start with we have purchased a few videos for us all to watch. Our favorite one is Big Bird in China. This is a terrific DVD. If you have kids, then you need to get this video for them (and you) to watch. The boys really enjoy it. Also we have been trying to learn a little bit of Chinese, so I also bought this Jade DVD to watch. It isn't as entertaining as Big Bird, but it does teach Chinese. The kids and have also started to learn some sign language . We have the Baby Einstein video to help us with that. I must say that Travis has picked up all the words on the video and he has only watched it a couple of times. I am told that a little bit of signing can go a long way for helping your child communicate quickly with you, which eases some of the language frustrations early on.










I am also trying to learn all I can about Shelby's special needs as well. I just bought the Cleft Palate book and it is very informative. I also have included pics of some of the other books that I have read over the past few months. My favorite one has been The Lost Daughters of China. I also just ordered the Sibling Rivalry book that was recommended by the Rumor Queen. I will let you know how that one turns out. The Toddler Adoption book is also very good if you are considering a toddler, then I would certainly recommend this book.



Oh, everyone should buy the National Geographic China's Lost Girls video. You can watch it yourself with your kids, then be sure to pass it along to all your extended family members to view. This is a great documentary on the process of adopting from China.


So as you can see we have been very busy trying to educate ourselves. I suppose this is one of the good things about the WAIT, you have plenty of time to get in some extra education!










3 comments:

Unknown said...

We are trying to learn too, and have many of these books and videos. The Sesame Street DVD has been on my list of things to buy for a long time, thanks for reminding me.

I just loved Passage of the Heart.

Unknown said...

Those are awesome..Im always looking for things to buy and read, you know that. Let me know when you guys get home and meet with Dr. Williams or Dr Burstein

Lennah and Delylah's mom said...

I think these are great ways to pass time. Let me know if I can be of any help. A lot of times I get my hands on stuff since I teach China to my students.
Cathy