Sunday, November 2, 2008

Praying for my little one

Here is just a small excerpt from a letter written from an adoptive mom.. You can read the complete letter here if you would like. It touches on the MANY reasons I am in "such a hurry" to get to my little girl still in China.


I know that like many adoptive parents I too believed what I wanted to believe. I wanted to believe that her beginning was one of the “good ones”. That her orphanage cared. That her orphanage was a good place. If adoptive parents don’t believe this, then how can most of us deal with the image of our daughter in “that place”? There’s only so much a human heart can take. But my daughter’s orphanage wasn’t a good place. It wasn’t unusual either, as far as orphanages in China go. After my trip, I can say with certainty that those babies do NOT get out of their cribs. They are fed randomly. One spoon in a boiling hot cauldron of congee. When the nanny feels like moving on to the next crib, she does. She doesn’t care if the first child has had enough to eat or has even burned her mouth for that matter. Baths? One big tub that’s wheeled around the infant room. Each baby is dunked in- that’s it. Bottles? Propped up. If the bottle falls out? Too bad. Diaper wet or dirty? It will have to wait. The urine soaked wooden board in the crib- stays in the crib urine soaked. No toys. No music. In fact no sound. When you walk in that room full of infants- you can hear a pin drop. Now tell me- how normal is that? Babies old enough to walk or crawl, can’t. Physical developmental delays?? Obviously significant. But worse- much worse are the emotional scars taking place every day in that place. Can ANY baby start out in that environment and NOT have issues or scars? I believe that’s impossible. I also believe that this is another area where it’s very difficult for many parents to face the facts. All out of love of course.


Please take a moment to pray for Faith today. My heart aches to have her home!

3 comments:

Katy said...

Hey Donna-Great new about your LOA!! Hope the US moves fast and you get to go in a month! What a cutie!!! Congratulations!!! Our HS is almost done, so we are getting there...

Alyson and Ford said...

We are sad our baby girl was 24 months old when she joined our family, but LOVE will help ease the pains. Faith, Love and Hope. It was a long wait. I pray for children every day.

Alyson
Alyzabeth's Mommy for Seven Weeks
LID 01/27/06

Snickerdoodle said...

Well, that letter may be true for some orphanages, but really, not all. YOu will need to research what type of swi your child comes from.

Some are simply terrific! Some get extra funding from parents in the US, like where my dd2 came from. It was a wonderful place (as far as swi's go) and the nannies got lots of training to work with the babes. It's not always a horrible place to be, like that mom wrote in that letter. Not always.

Snick
dd Sunshine 7 1/2 Viet Nam
dd Brilliance almost 2 1/2 Fuling SWI, China