Monday, March 31, 2008

One week to go

This time next week my little one will be in a lot of pain. Hopefully we will keep it controlled by way of some STRONG drugs. Please pray we get a nurse who believes in the power of narcotics (hint hint Amy)! I am really starting to stress out over the surgery and it still seems surreal that it is finally time to do this. Well it is a good thing I have a busy week planned so I can't worry about it "all" the time.

I have been doing some research of course and wanted to show some pretty graphic- but REAL pics of what Shelby's is about to have done to her mouth. It was explained to me that she will have 3 layers of stitches put into her mouth. One on top between her nose and mouth, then one where the hard palate come together, then another row which will be the ones we will be able to see. She will also have some on the sides of her mouth where they have to cut so they can stretch the tissues across her mouth. Also she will have some stitches on her gum line where they cut around her cleft in the gums to stretch the gums over the hole to encourage tissue growth. Needless to say her mouth is going to HURT. Just think about it when you have a small sore on the inside of your mouth how much that bothers you and hurts. Now imagine what my little one is going to experience. Crazy to just even think about and I am sick to know that she has to endure all of this. I know kids are resilient and get over things quickly, but I still ache over the fact that she will be in a lot of pain. Here are the pics of a little boy before the surgery-which his mouth looks a lot like Shelby's. And then here is the pic of his mouth 2 days after surgery. Gross I know, but REALITY for Shelby next week :( Please pray for her quick healing.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for those pics..

I am working next Monday night!!!!!

Angela and Jay said...

Saying a prayer for Shelby and for you. Please keep us updated.

Lennah and Delylah's mom said...

I will keep you guys in my prayers that Shelby is safe and everything goes well.
Cathy

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Of course we will pray. God bless that little one. We will be gone part of the spring break, but if you need anything when we get back, please don't hesitate. She's got a loving nurse in her Mama. Ellen

Heather said...

You all are in our prayers! We'll be thinking about you all! I know you have a big support system, but I'm here for you too! You're right--children are so much more resilient than adults with healing from these things. You'll be amazed how quickly Shelby bounces back. I think it's just as, if not harder, on the parents 'cause we hate to see our babies in pain.

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Sweet Little Shelby! Hope all goes well. For Mommy and Daddy and brothers too. Will say a special prayer for all!