Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Other Kiddos




Just wanted to post about how all the other kids seem to be doing with Elise and our trip. The boys are doing great at home without us. They are staying in their normal routines going to school and soccer and such. We talk to them everyday on Skype and that helps us alot to be able to actually see each other everyday. They think their sister is cute and are able to watch her a bit through the camera. I am glad to see they are doing well and not missing us too much right now. They have Spring Break next week while we are away, so no school or routine to stick to. I hope they are able to stay busy (hint hint to my village out there ;) everyday so that they don't get bored and start missing us. Overall I think our seperation has been easier than I predicted, so that is a good thing. I can't wait for them to meet their new sister live an in person!!


Shelby is doing really well with Elise as her "second mommy". She babys her and watches over her all the time, as I expected. Shelby gives Elise spontaneous kisses all the time that just melts my heart. The first thing Shelby did as soon as we saw Elise (and I mean as soon as we walked up to her) was inspect her little hand. Shelby pulled back all her clothes until she found her little hand and inspected it closely. I was kind of embarrassed when she did this with the director sitting right there. Turns out Shelby just wanted to make sure Elise was OK and not "hurt". After Shelby saw that she wasn't in any pain, she was good with that and moved on without her little hand becoming an issue again.


Shelby has asked more questions than she ever has about her own adoption during this trip (understandable of course). I try to answer her as honestly as I can about what I know about her foster mom and her birth mom. It was a bit too much for Shelby to take in yesterday at the orphanage. As we were upstairs waiting for the foster mom, Shelby had a mini meltdown asking over and over again "Where is her foster mom, where is her foster mom?". She cried and melted but only for about 5 minutes or so. Once the foster mom arrived, Shelby calmed down and was OK the rest of the visit. Last night putting the girls to bed, Shelby pouting told me that I wasn't her mommy and that she wasn't my baby. I asked then who was and she said she was her birth mommy's baby. I told her yes she was and that I bet she missed her very much :( I then told her that I get to be her mommy now and promise to love her forever and ever. I proceeded to give her lots of kisses and then her tiny giggles came back and all was well the rest of the night. I know this is a very emotional trip for my Shelby baby.


Faith, well Faith is everything I predicted with her new sister...jealous :) She isn't mean to Elise though and doesn't show her jealously towards the baby at all, she just really really doesn't want to share the attention with the new baby. Faith is used to a normal routine as well, so hotel living is not her cup of tea! Everyday she wakes up and says she wants to go home. We are showing Faith some extra love and holding her alot like a baby. She has started to play more with Elise, but still working on the sharing part ;) I have faith she will come around! Oh and it doesn't help that she doesn't like any of the food here. She spends most of her time at the table playing the iPhones-LOL.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your honesty. Your Shelby talks have me in tears as for years I prepared myself for talks like this, I just hope I am ready like you. Thanks for the updates.

Miss you and so proud of all of you

Kathleen said...

Thanks for sharing that... I never really thought about Emma having that reaction about the trip. We will have to keep an eye out for those types of questions... I will be more prepared for it now. Thank you so much! Your daughters are all amazing! Emma, how ever will be more like Faith in the food department... I am very worried about that. Thanks again and enjoy your new baby girl, what a cutie she is!

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

SO sweet that Shelby is taking such great care of Elise and EK asked tons of questions when we got SJ too! and that sweet Faith is just precious!!!
love and joy!

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Love this update. What a sweet big sis Shelby is being. I know all your kiddos will bond soon enough. Love to see happen!

Kim said...

Just checking in. Sounds like things are going as you expected with the girls. Everyone looks great and we can't wait to have you home. Hugs and kisses.