Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Triad Meeting

Last night was great! I attended my first Triad meeting and my friend Chris was able to go with me. She has adopted 3 kids through the foster care system. One might ask what this meeting is. Here is the definition on their website:

Adoption Triad: A term used to describe the three-sided relationship that exists
in an adoption between birth parents, adoptive parents and the adoptee,
each of which is interrelated and inter-dependent on the others.-
http://glossary.adoption.com/

So as you can see there were people from all sides of the adoption world at the meeting. There were birth moms and even a birth dad, adoptees, and a few of us adoptive moms in attendance. It was a great meeting and I hope to be able to attend every first Tuesday of the month. I expect to learn alot from the various walks of life that attend.

I think it is great that everyone there is able to relate to others in their same situation. Fortunately for them, they are all able to at least "search" for their birth parents here in the US in one form or another. They may not all like what they find, but they are able to search.

Unfortunately my girls will not have that ability to search for their birth parents. I hope to learn more and more to be able to help them understand how to live their life to the fullest without them being able to "complete the triangle" by finding their birth parents. I also can't wait for my mom to join us at the meeting so she can start to heal some of the pain she has held onto her whole life surrounding the birth of my brother so many years ago. Thanks goes to Denise for reaching out to me and letting me know about this wonderful group!

No comments: