Saturday, September 6, 2008

Memo From Your Child

A Memo From Your Child-Author Unknown

1. Don't spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not have all that I ask for. I'm only testing you.

2. Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. It makes me feel more secure.

3. Don't let me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages!

4. Don't correct me in front of other people if you can help it.

5. Don't be too upset when I get mad at you. It's not you I'm mad at, but your power to stop me from doing things my way.

6. Don't protect me from consequences. I need to learn the painful way sometimes.

7. Don't be inconsistent. That completely confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.

8. Don't tell me my fears are silly. They are terribly real to me, and you can do so much to reassure me if you just try to understand.

9. Don't forget I learn so much more by watching your example. I can remember much more of what I see than of what I hear.

10. Don't forget that I can't thrive without lots of love and understanding. But I don't need to tell you that, do I?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this. This is one for me to save!

Briana's Mom said...

This is perfect!

It was so good to see you last night!

Mary said...

ohhhh...so good!