Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Researching our Options

Here is a blog of a little one currently going through the extra surgery like Shelby will probably have to have done. This little one was going to have the sphincter pharyngoplasty like Shelby's doctor is recommending, but during the operation the surgeon decided to do the p-flap instead: http://www.morethanahome.blogspot.com/
I am not looking forward to another surgery with Shelby at all :( However, I know that we will do whatever we need to do to help her speak more clearly.

As a matter of fact, this weekend I had a cruel reminder that Shelby's speech affects her daily. A very MEAN little girl came up to her and Travis at the playplace we were at and said to Travis, "She doesn't even talk right!", and then proceeded to grab a handful of sand and threw it in Shelby's face. All of this happened with me standing right there witnessing the whole event. Let me just say that little girl is lucky to still be alive!

Anyhow, as I said it was a reminder to help Shelby no matter what it takes so that she will be able to speak to the best of her abilities. She is such a spirited little girl who deserves the very best :)

8 comments:

Renate said...

my gosh, kids can be so mean sometimes. I hope you said something to her Mother. What a nice kid you have Lady!

Beth and Ryan said...

Mean children make my skin crawl....especially if their meaness is directed at one of my kiddos!

Unknown said...

You are such a good mom..there is someone that we both know that had the p flap...let me know when the surgery is

Tymm said...

not cool.

Let me know if you need me and meron to roll up on this playground bully.

not cool.

RamblingMother said...

mean girls suck. So sorry for Shelby. I hope you confronted the mom!

Shari U said...

Donna, that must have been really hard to hear, I'm sorry. Shelby is beautiful and I know you're a wonderful mom to her. I hope her next procedure will be successful and she'll continue along in her healing.

Pretty Pink World said...

Okay...that just breaks my heart.
Abby's speech, to say the least, is really bad. We are getting better (with speech therapy), but she is not where she needs to be for 3 1/2 years old. I worry every day about people being mean or judging her when she cannot communicate with them like other 3 1/2 year olds can. I am SO sorry this happened to Shelby. Why are some children SO mean? :(

Jen & Bill said...

Ricky had the pharyngoplasty done in December at age 2 years and 4 months with Dr. Burstein. We were originally going for the p-flap but decided on the p-plasty instead.

I can tell you about the recovery etc...

The results still too early to tell.


email me at jbzanie@yahoo.com