Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Speech progress

We started off this morning with Shelby's great speech therapist and a visit from our Babies Can't Wait coordinator. Shelby will "age out" of this program in September, so we are preparing for the switch off to the public school system then. She will of course qualify for speech in public school system; however, I can't imagine me putting her on a bus and off to school at only 3 years old. So I guess we will just have to wait and see what they suggest once school starts. She is doing well with her current speech therapist, so we may just choose to stay with her even after school starts.

It is pretty neat to see Shelby working hard to use her mouth in different ways when Ms. Connie asks her to do things with her tongue and mouth. We are seeing alot of progress and hearing new sounds each week. I am very hopeful that she will eventually figure out how to make the correct sounds with her new palate. Seeing how far she has come in just 6 months is amazing. Remember that the first time she ever heard English was only 7 months ago! She can completely understand everything we say to her and she is definately talking alot. The problem is that I am about the only one who understands what she is saying. I love to hear her putting words together now and making full sentences. My favorite one tonight was her telling me "Caleb is being a meany-butt!" every time he would irritate her :) I know not very nice language from a 2 year old, but it still cracks me up!

On the Malia paperchase today, I actually received CJ's birth certificate from WI in only 1 day! So I went to the post office today and expressed it up to the Sec of State's office in WI for certification. Hopefully this office will be quick like the birth cert office. Once I get it back then it will be off to the Chicago China Consulate for authentication. CJ and I are going to the doctor in the morning to show off our arms for negative TB test marks. I am hoping that they will have our completed medical forms, but I have a feeling I won't be able to pick them up until Thursday. I am planning on hitting the GA state departments on Thursday to certify some of my docs. I will keep you posted as to how my "plan" works out. So far everything is coming together in record time. Thank you for all the prayers out there as they seem to be working so far :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to hearing more good news!

The Evans Family said...

The speech therapists with the PC school system visit the day care centers to provide speech services to preschool kids. Check with Cobb Co. and see if they offer that service.

Sure hope the paperchase keeps up the great pace!