Thursday, December 20, 2007

Feeling Like Family

I just finally get the feeling that Shelby has accepted her new family. We have had a terrific week and I get the sense that Shelby is actually enjoying being home! Well when I say home, I mean home with us. Not really being "home" because we are never at home ;) Mom and Shelby are on the go all the time. She fits in perfectly with us ready to go anytime anywhere. I don't like just sitting at home, so we are out and about all the time. Shelby seems to really enjoy being out and about as well, so that is a good thing. We had a playdate yesterday with Sheridan and Michelle at Hobby Town. Big fun! As you can see from the pics, Sheridan is finally learning how to put Shelby in her place; therefore, Shelby is learning how to play nicely more often ;) Little Miss Shelby has had her own way for quite a while, and she is now learning that she doesn't always get what she wants all the time. She is actually transitioning very well and starting to share much better now. She doesn't even fight with her brothers as often now. She of course loves to pester them, but she doesn't just hit for no reason anymore.

Speaking of Shelby and her brothers, she hasn't really become "attached" to them now. I can see a complete shift in her behavior and interaction with them. I think she might even really love them now! She has been doing the sweetest little things this week when we are out shopping. If she sees something she wants, she will get one and then she always gets 2 more and says Caleb...Travis. Too cute! When she pulled a boy toy off the shelf, I assumed she was getting that for her brothers too, but when I asked if it was for Caleb-she said no. Then I asked if it was for Travis- she said no. I asked her again what she was saying, and finally realized she was saying- Hong Hong. I said oh this is for Shelby, and she was so excited that I figured out what she was saying shaking her head a definite yes for Hong Hong. Too cute!

Shelby must have received presents of some sort in China, because she definitely knows how to unwrap them at super speed. Good thing we don't wrap our presents ahead of time and put under the tree. Because as soon as she sees a wrapped present, she is ripping it apart. Christmas is going to be a lot of fun watching her open all her gifts. I still sit in awe that she is actually here for this Christmas. Even though it seemed like forever while we waited for her, in the grand scheme of adoptions, she arrived quickly for us. This time last year she was just a dream I had, and this year she is REAL-I have a daughter!

3 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Oh isn't just grand when you notice the changes? Shelby is feeling so loved and safe with all of you. Pretty soon you won't remember your family without her in it!

Heather said...

awe!...I remember that first feeling...and it just keeps gettin' better!

Laura said...

I just love reading your updates! They make me smile each and every time. You have a wonderful family! I am so thrilled for your first Christmas with Shelby!!

Laura