Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Being Her Voice

I just read a very good post about another little one that is cleft affected. Go here to read the post. I can very much relate to her post. No one ever really told me what an emotional need cleft lip and palate really is. Not to say that I regret doing it, or would change anything about my Shelby, just saying that for some reason the emotional side of cleft lip and palate are hardly ever talked about. Just glad someone else is helping to educate others about this particular special need.

Oh and I really wish I would have thought more about what I named Shelby. So to others out there adopting a cleft child, please oh please do not name them anything almost impossible for a cleft child to pronounce! Don't use SH, or CK, or Ts, or Ds, or Bs, or G sound please :) Give them a name that hopefully starts with a M or N sound and has lots of vowels sounds in it. A child's name is one of the very first most IMPORTANT words your child will need to say to their new friends, please think about that before you give them their new name!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice...I'll head over and read that.

PletcherFamily said...

I have a cleft lip/palate child as well that we adopted from China. You are right - it is so much more than just "fixing" his face. He has been home almost 3 years now, we we still struggle with the emotional side.

Michal said...

We are waiting for TA to go and bring our son home. he is cleft affected- lip repaired but his palate is waiting for us and it's a stage 3.
My husband and I tortured ourselves over his name. Folks around us thought we were nuts. My gut told me to get it right, glad that I listened.

I would know nothing about the emotional side of adopting a cleft affected child if it weren't for parents like you. I need to hear these things. Our daughter is almost 6 and talks like a college student so I know I will have a huge adjustment for our Liam (is that an easy one for him?).

Gina said...

We are thinking about names for our daughter right now. Thank you for this information, I would not have thought of it!

Special K said...

Donna, you always post some thoughtful, helpful things. I couldn't agree more. When a child at the playground looks and you, points at your child and says, "what language is he speaking?" it just breaks your heart. Micah couldn't say his name for at least 5 months. The hard /C/ interfered with any ability to say the /M/. The next child will be named Noah. Much better!