Tuesday, August 5, 2008

We're Still on for tomorrow

Woohoo woohoo woohoo, we finally have a true official it-better-not-change court date for Shelby's re-adoption tomorrow. Here is a picture of my attorney (aka Baba-aka Michael-aka Angel from above-aka Mr. Know it all) working on the reprocessing all of my paperwork for this court hearing.

To brief everyone a little bit on this: All this hearing does is officially we adopt Shelby in the state of Georgia. The point of this is to give her a real Georgia birth certificate with her official new name printed on it and shows CJ and I as her real parents. This little piece of paper has been a pain in the rear to get so far. The US court system wants you to pay an attorney $2000 to process all this paperwork. Well my good friend Michael volunteered to help me out and he was able to get all the paperwork ready for filing. We both find it ridiculous to pay an attorney for something that we can do on our own.

So anyway after submitting the first set of docs and receiving a court date that should have happened back on July 2, I get a notice that we were "missing" some items in the documents. So again, with Mr. Resources help, I get everything done that was missing and resubmitted the new stuff. Michael was great with all his help jumping through a lot of hoops to get the necessary documents, especially since all of these problems arose on the day I found out about Malia. Well, I thought everything was a go for the new reassigned court date, until the courts decided to let me know just yesterday that something still wasn't right :( I was livid!!
After some quick actions, I called the courts back and asked if I could try yet again and rushed over yesterday afternoon and yet again resubmitted more docs. Needless to say I just spoke to them and they said YES, we are good finally, and court will proceed as scheduled for tomorrow morning-WOOHOO!!

Thank you Michael for all your hard work helping me with this stuff! I really would have hated to give to a condo fund for an attorney. A contribution to Sheridan's college fund sounds a lot better :)

2 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Our first go round with the courts (2004) and domestication of Grace's adoption went very smoothly. Then 9/11 happened and the rules changed. When we attempted to domesticate Analiese's adoption we had so many more hoops to jump through! We haven't even thought about Matthew's yet.

Have fun tomorrow, it's another step in the journey, one that you'll be glad you took.

RamblingMother said...

yea!!