Saturday, February 2, 2008

WANTED-Gloves!

As I was just reading about all of the bad cold weather that has hit China, I decided what I can do to help in some little way. I actually read about someone else doing this and it sounded like a great idea. First, stop and read this article and report about the how the current weather conditions have affected the orphanages in China. The weather is so bad and most of the orphanages are unprepared for such cold temps. It is even too cold to dry the diapers that the babies wear so that is why they are asking for disposable ones. As I sit here in my nice warm living room under my electric throw blanket, I can't help but feel guilty thinking about these little ones in China who are wearing about 5 layers of clothing each just to stay above freezing. It really puts things into perspective about how good we have it. The pics are of Shelby and this was in "normal" weather conditions in South China. Can you imagine how these kids are having to dress right now in the current conditions?!

Well back to what I started to talk about, instead of just doing nothing I am going to start collecting gloves of all shapes and sizes to send over to Shelby's orphanage. I am choosing gloves/mittens because they aren't very big and they don't weigh much. So I am thinking that maybe I could fit about 50 pair all shrunk down in a spacesaver bag in a relatively small box and get that over to China for about $25 shipping. I think that 50 pairs of gloves for the nannies and foster moms and for the kids would help them fight the bitter cold and hopefully help keep some babies fingers from freezing. So I asking for some help from you all to please contribute some gloves for the cause. Please visit your local Walmart or $1 store and buy up some cheap simple gloves/mittens and give them to me soon! I would like to send this box off to China by say February 14. What a great way to show some love this Valentine's Day by sending some babies on the other side of the world a small token of warmth. I will be happy to come by wherever and pick up the gloves if you just call me. Thank you so much for helping me make this winter a little more bearable for these wonderful nannies/foster moms and of course these beautiful children!

1 comment:

Tymm said...

Hey there - rock on for being proactive like that! We got 30 pair for ya and $10 towards your shipping - lets figure out where to meet so I can make the drop off.

Thanks for doing this...

Tymm & Laura