Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Attachment is Work

Just saw this article posted by another adoptive mom and wanted to share it. I like to advocate for adoption anytime, anywhere it presents a moment for me to do so. I even had some business cards printed up with my name, number, and my blog address on them. I give them out freely to anyone who inquires about adoption. I really hope to help one child (or 2 or 3 or 4) children find their way to their forever homes.

Now it wouldn't be fair for me to only post about the "good stuff" surrounding adoption. And I don't really hold back on my blog, so that is why this article struck me as something I needed to post here. Fortunately I haven't had many attachment issues with the girls so far. I pray that I don't in the future. But the main point here is that not all adoptions go so rosy. Attachment by the parent and attachment from the child takes work...a LOT of work. You have to do your homework before you bring these kids home, and you have to practice what you learned once they are home. So if you are in the process of adopting or just interested in adoption, please take a moment to read this article. You may one day need some of these tips listed in there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love, love, love your heart for adoption. The business cards are a great idea!