Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tribute to Teachers

With the last day of school approaching, be sure you tell your teachers how much they mean to you. Teachers can make or break a child's school year. I am so happy that my kids' have all been blessed this year with great educators. A good teacher certainly doesn't do their job for the money-they do it for the love of teaching. So be sure to thank them for a job well done-if they deserve it!

Here is my heartfelt letter to Shelby's first teacher. She has truly been a blessing in our lives.

Dear Mrs. Vicki,
I apologize for the impersonal nature of a typed letter, but this is how I write the easiest. (Also, it was the only way to keep the tears from falling on the paper.) I just wanted to send you a note of how much you have meant to me (and Shelby) this year.

As you know, I am a planner. I planned out how everything was going to work out once we finally got Shelby home. Shelby would, of course, go to my long time babysitter’s house full-time. The boys had been raised by her, so why not Shelby. Well needless to say Shelby was miserable there. I cried every morning I had to drop her off there. It wasn’t that there was anything “wrong” with the sitter, it was just Shelby was not happy at all. I knew that I had to do something different-but what? I prayed and prayed and asked God to please help my situation and my little girl.

Well it didn’t take long and He answered in a BIG way. An angel simply said to me one night how she would love to have my Shelby in her preschool class during the day. It was as if I had a direct line to God that first day I came to speak to Libby about Shelby attending the school. I know that sounds corny, but it is SO true. I knew it was the right place for my baby girl and a true answer to my prayers.

I can’t thank you all enough for working with my little girl. You have been so patient, kind, and caring with Shelby and all her “issues” she brings along. I know you have loved on her from the minute she walked into your classroom. She is very challenging and a determined little girl, so I know it has not been an easy task to take on. But you did it!! And we are so blessed that you did.

Shelby now loves to go to school and asks every morning if she gets to go to school. She is such a different child now that you have helped her become comfortable and feel safe in your classroom. She knows you love her, and that alone makes a huge impact on her life- and mine too :)

So, THANK YOU very much for being there for us when we really needed you. We are so blessed to have you in our lives. If you ever questioned why you do what you do and if you are doing what God called you to do, here is your answer loud and clear all the way from the other side of the world…

With Love,
Donna and Shelby Straight

No comments: