Wednesday, June 13, 2007

People are Strange...

The Stupid Things People Say - Comic Relief!

Lady in grocery store to my husband with our daughter in the shopping cart: "What is she?" Husband replied: "A girl!"

A lady who my husband sees frequently with his job asked him the other day, "So how is her English coming along?" Our daughter is now 5 3/4 and in kindergarten, she came home at 10 months of age! My husband replied, "A lot better than her Chinese!"

White man to my 8 year old (adopted from China): "You speak English very well." My 8 year old: "Thanks, I practice alot.”

A: "is she able to eat american food?" Me: "uhhhh...yes?" A: "really? and she's okay on it??" as if we have to feed her rice and egg rolls or else she'll implode. Has anyone ever asked the mother of an american toddler if their child was able to eat chinese food and if so, were they okay


"Will the chinese always be in her?" nah, we're having it surgically removed next week

S : "she's awful clingy to you" Me: "yeah, she won't let me put her down" S: "were your other 3 like that?" Me: "no" S: "I wonder why she is and they weren't??" *HMMM lets see...what could it be that makes Mia act different than my bio kids. Lets think, what is the difference? Oh, it must be cause she's chinese. This conclusion leads to her next comment...* S: "are all chinese kids like that?"

"It's going to be so weird to see an oriental baby calling YOU mama!"


"Well, at least she's cute"

"I wish I could just go buy a baby" - someone who was pregnant at the time

"I thought she'd be some crackbaby or something"

"Its sad how they just throw them away"

"I never thought I'd see the day when you could buy babies on the internet"

Lady at the cash register at Walmart when we bought Mia her first outfits: "Are these clothes for a baby?" Me: "yes, we're adopting" Her: "Really? What color?" Me: "Excuse me?" Her: "You know, white, black, mexican?" Me: "She's chinese" Her: "Oh! thats cool!"
"Do they know you're adopting?" Cashier at Walmart, pointing at Mason and my kids. Same cashier as above.


"I just don't think I could raise someone else's kid"

"They kill the girls there, you know. Strangle 'em, suffocate 'em, take 'em out and shoot 'em!" -

MIL: "Can I send Mia a valentine's day card?" me: "to her orphanage?" MIL: "Yes, I want to send her a card" me: "Uhm, well, I don't think they'd be able to read it" MIL: "I know that, but she can get her mom to read it to her" me: "uhm, she doesn't have a mom there else she wouldn't be up for adoption and I meant the fact that they speak chinese there...they can't read the english card to her" MIL: "oh. nevermind then!"


person: Have you ever wanted to have another kid but you didn't want to have another baby? me: yes... we're adopting Mia person: No, I meant a real kid

person: What if you get all the way to China and they give you a different kid? Would you even know it? me: well yeah, I have pictures of her, I know what she looks like person: no I mean, could you really tell its her? I mean, they all look alike me: uhhhh....I know what my daughter looks like, I could pick her out of all of China person: no way, they all look the same

"A: I want to have another baby, I wish *hubby* hadn't had a vasectomy Me: Have you considered adopting?? A: I want my OWN kid Me: Mia IS my OWN kid A: no she's not Me: yes, yes she is A: not really though she's not Me: no really she is A: whatever

"You know she's a chinese girl, right?!" - waitress at the chinese restaurant after we showed her Mia's picture and told her we were adopting her

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing these..and thanks for posting on our blog!!