Friday, March 27, 2009

Are You Lonely?

I just read a new blog about a woman serving in Africa right now and has taken in about 14 orphans into her home. Her words on this post are very powerful so I wanted to share...

"Uncle Mike formed a special bond with the "big girls" this past week, especially sweet Agnes. I am so thankful for the sweet relationship they have made. I want to share it but feel that my words will be inadequate...

A little background two of my oldest, Nabayego and Agnes, had a father who died of AIDS when they were only 4 and 6. The only male role models they had growing up were their mother's brothers, all of whom are unemployed and sit around drinking all day. The other two "big girls" Maragaret and Prossy lived in a Sudaneese refugee camp until they were 8 and 10 and then moved in with their uncle who severly abused them. Not pretty. I was shocked when all 4 of them seem instantly drawn to Mike, since in general they are usually pretty unenchanted with men. Agnes especially was just enthralled with this new man in the house. Every night Mike would go into their room and tell them a story and they would just laugh and laugh. So precious.

Sunday night after their story, I went in to kiss the girls goodnight. Wide eyes, Agnes looked up at me, "Hey Momma, is this what it is like to have a dad?" Oh, my heart. I kissed her quickly so that she wouldn't see my eyes well with tears. The next night, Mike put on some George Strait and two-stepped around the living room with Agnes. The other Uncles joined in, taking turns with the other girls. As I watched for where I was cooking dinner, I couldn't help but weep.

I can be a lot of things for my girls. I provide for them, I love them with all that I am, they know I would do anything for them. But the truth is, I cannot be their father. This breaks my heart. So much of how I live, how I love, how I interact with others is based on my relationship with my father and the example he set. I know that my understanding of God's unconditional love stems directly from my dad's unconditional love for me. I remeber so vivdly sitting on my daddy's lap (ok, sometimes I still do) and dancing around the kitchen standing on his feet. I can be a lot of things for my girls, but I cannot be their father. They deserve a male role model who teaches them what it is to be valued and cherished. My heart is so saddened when I think that they do not have this, but I lay it in my Heavenly Father's hands because I know HE values and cherishes them more than anyone on earth could.

Then I begin to think of the children who do not have a mother or a father. Where will they learn love? Who will tell them bed time stories and dance them around the living room? Who will teach them that they are loved and valued and cherished?

Oh, yeah. The body of Christ. Each person who calls themself a follower of Christ takes up the reponsibility to love and care for the fatherless. It is not some special, specific calling. It is the duty of all who call themselves Christians. There are ONE HUNDRED FOURTY SOMETHING MILLION fatherless, motherless, parentless children who are not shown unconditional love by another human being on a daily basis. How will we then tell them that Jesus loves them? I am certain that God did not mess up and create too many children and not enough people to love them. The body of Christ is responsible for sharing His love with the people that we are also responsible for making destitute.

Please join my broken heart in praying for the fatherless, but more than that please pray about how YOU can be instrumentall in loving the fatherless. They are not just in Africa, they are right in your own community."

1 comment:

Tymm said...

ya found Katie's blog huh? Prepare yourself - she will rock your world with her faith and her stories of God in Uganda.

Love that blog...