Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Stronger Thread

Yes, that little red thread sure is a tough one! Remember this old Chinese Proverb:
Well, it has proven itself once again in my life. Check out this amazing new chapter in my life...I have a brother. Yes, you read that correctly. Once again adoption has touched my life in ways that I never expected. Here is the brief shortened story for those of you who don't know what I am talking about:

My mother gave birth to a son years ago when she was very young and unable to care for a baby. She made a birth plan for this son and he was placed for adoption. I have always known about him, but up until now I wasn't too sure about what to do with that knowledge. Well since I have been immersed in adoption education classes and such since Shelby's arrival, I learned a great deal about adoptees and their birth parents. I soon realized how important it was for my brother to know about me and to know about his birth mom. I always knew that my mother had a hole in her heart longing to know that her son was OK and happy. So learning all of these facts, I put my resources to use!

I found out at one of the 3rd Friday group sessions about how the Georgia Reunion Registry service worked. Thanks to Denise that I met at the group, she told me how to pursue the search for my brother. Well about 3 months later, I received a phone call telling me that they had located my brother and he was alive and well! What an emotional day that was a couple of weeks ago. My mother was estatic to say the least. So since then I have been getting to know my brother through emails and pictures and such. I even received a phone call from him yesterday-yeah :)
Now here is the real freaky part about this reunion and it brings me even closer to explaining the red thread connections. He is married to a Chinese woman and together they have one of the cutest little Chinese boys I have seen! I couldn't help but just laugh at the fact that my girls now have a Chinese aunt and a Chinese first cousin. This was just so amazing to me yesterday when I received the pictures. So here you go, I would like to introduce you to my brother and his family...

So do you think we look alike:

9 comments:

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

Yes! You two look alike! What a miracle. That boy really is the cutest. I can't get over it. :)

Steph said...

That is such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

Briana's Mom said...

I am blown away! Totally amazing!

Mary said...

WOW!! How fantastic is that?!? You just gave me chills, girl! I know this is a very emotional time for you all. Happy Reunion!!

Lennah and Delylah's mom said...

This is awesome. I hope your relationship with your newly expanded family blossoms.
Cathy

The Evans Family said...

WOW! What an amazing red thread story. There is no denying that you and your brother are related. God does work in such mysterious ways!

Special K said...

Oh yeah, you look alike. What an amazing story.

RamblingMother said...

OMGoodness Yes!! How neat!!

Anonymous said...

He reminds me of Paw Paw! Definitely his nose and mouth! And he has your moms eyes. Amazing! God is Good! - Rhonda