Saturday, July 26, 2008

President not a Princess

I received a reality check tonight regarding fairy tales. You know the one where you finally have a little girl and you get to share the magic of Disney with her. You spend $21 on purchasing the one and only classic of Cinderella on DVD. You dream of the twinkle in her eye when she lays eyes on the beautiful princess. You sense your daughter's excitement when Prince Charming swoops in and rescues her from the mean step mother. You both smile with joy as they journey off into the sunset together living happily ever after...YEAH RIGHT!

First of all, I had to convince her that purchasing the DVD was a much better idea than getting boring Caillou (no dice-had to at least rent Caillou). Then after she watched the goofy Caillou movie about 5 times in a row, I finally talked her in to putting in the brand new never opened magical Cinderella DVD. I then had to fast forward through all the previews as she was really wanting to watch Caillou again and she said "This not Inderelllllla!". No, wait my darling here she comes. BAM, finally Cinderella on the big screen for Shelby's first magical viewing...

Can you say MELTDOWN?!?!?! She got one good look at the wicked step mom and lost it. I kept asking her what was the deal and she said she didn't like it, don't like it. So after much discussion, we both agreed that was a mean lady on the screen (careful not to say a mean mom cause you know moms can't be mean;). So yes, now she refers to Cinderella as the "Mean Lady Movie"-just great!

I learned my lesson today that fairy tales can sometimes be just that-fairy tales. Looks like my little one must be destined to be the President instead of a Princess!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Too funny! And you were so EXCITED about her seeing it! Thanks for stopping by yesterday. We had a great time.

Dan and Liz said...

What a wonderful story to share with your friends-
Liz and Michelle
I will miss you all at FF next week
Have a great time

RamblingMother said...

GLenys had the same experience with both Cinderella and Snow White. Snow White is totally banned from the house, she can't even see the picture on the outside. As far as Cinderella goes Glenys has to cover her eyes when they close in on the Step mother's eyes!!

Steve and Darcy said...

Hilarious! I bet you had to put Caillou back in to calm her down! My kids like that show too...I don't get it. My girls do like Cinderella, but they don't like the part where the mean sisters tear her dress - we had to FF through that part a lot!

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

That was hysterical!!!
If it makes you feel any better. We tried the very same movie this summer and if the "princess" wasn't being shown on the screen, Emily Grace would immediately lose interest. I would say keep watching, Cinderella is coming up soon...and off to her Kitchen to play she would go. I don't get it, I loved the Disney princesses when I was little.
Have fun,
Amy

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Years ago we planned a big outing to the Duluth $ movie to take Sara to see Pochahontas (she was 2'ish). She was excited all week about the movie. We got there and the first scene was the shipwreck! Loud, scary and dark - the way many Disney movies begin. We were outta there in 3 minutes! Glad we only paid a $ each! Funny!

Ellen and Kevin Fay said...

You crack me up. Next time you go to the Melting Pot for your b-day, please invite me!

Angela and Jay said...

So funny! She's a smart little girl. That is one wicked step-mom! :-)