Monday, January 31, 2011

Palate Surgery Healing

I found this very interesting. It is written by an adult who recently had another palate repair done on herself. Coincidently she also has a child who has experienced palate surgery as well. Gives you a little insight into Shelby's world...


I am forwarding this with the author's permission.


Karen,

I would like to share a perspective from some one who has had a
similar operation as an adult. I had many surgeries in my life mostly
related to my cleft. I recently had my palate repaired again and will
retry again in April.

To me, the most bothersome thing with the palate surgery is the
feeling of the palate as it heals. The palate feels like a hairy
crumbled piece of plastic (due to the stitches) which is dry all the
time. It is colder than the rest of the mouth and a bit sore. To top
it you can't touch it, yet the natural instinct is to remove something
foreign in your mouth. At first I thought I had a plastic cap
protecting the palate. I asked my surgeon about when the cap would be
removed and we both had a confused moment. It was the palate and he
proceeded to tell me to stop playing with it with my tongue :)

I have to admit that my memories of the surgeries from my childhood
were not as vivid as this and it took me by surprise how weird it
feels. It was not very painful but i seem to handle pain better than
most (may be because of all the surgeries?). It is a bit frustrating
if the food is not liquid enough since this type of food seems to
stick to the stitches.

When my son had his palate repair I had no recollection on how it
felt. He woke up more frustrated than any thing. Now (after my recent
surgery) I can understand his frustration.

I hope this helps you understand what your son may feel as he heals.
As a parent, i helped my son with his recovery and we discovered what
helped him as best (cold liquids was the trick for him). The best
tool he has is you and how caring you are. In my personal experience
it helped a lot to have my loved ones trying to aid me when I need it.

Vanessa

No comments: