Saturday, July 21, 2007

Georgia Mountain Fair

I just love modern things. I am sitting in my camper blogging. Talk about 2 ends of the extremes today. We spent the day at the GA Mt. Fair in Hiawassee experiencing all the ways of the "olden days". We watched them make apple cider by literally pounding the apples by hand and squeezing all the juice out. We saw men making boards by hand with an axe, and of course we watched some old fashion pickin on the front porch. I contrast that by "camping" in my 2 bedroom, 2 bath camper with cable and WI-FI! Boy have we come a long way in a short amount of time.

It really makes me think about how close Shelby really is to us. To see her holding a picture of us that was just in my hands only a couple of weeks ago. With all the moderns of today's world, we can send a small package from our own little Georgia home and it will be on the other side of the world in "5-10" days-amazing :) And to think that we are going to be able to get on an airplane and in hours be on the other side of the world finding our daughter. I am so thankful that we live in the world we do today with all of our luxuries of modern times. I don't know how all of this would have been possible without all of today's modern ammenities. Thank God all of this is available to get Shelby home soon!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a blast..I love reading what your family is up to! I cant wait for Shelby to join your family!

Kim said...

This post made Michael and I LOL! We so get the camping - for years we camped in a tent, then moved up to a pop-up camper, and finally, to the 27 ft home on wheels. Sold that several years ago, but I have a feeling another one is in our future when Sheridan arrives home.

The Evans Family said...

Sounds like great fun! I remember as a kid spending time with my aunt and uncle in their "trailer". We were so excited because they had a TV --- all of about 5 inches!

Glad to hear that you are also getting your visas--every penny counts. The more we save on this end, the more we'll have to spend in China!

Unknown said...

Interesting post! I too agree that it is amazing how modern technology has brought the other side of the world so close.

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

I love your post on modernism. When we were in Guangxi, we took a 3 1/2 hour trip to Guiping where LiLi was from to find her "finding spot". As I stood on the spot where she was found our world and her world came crashing down upon me. Guiping is not modern China, but the third world China. It is poor and very humbling. Thanks for helping me remember how blessed and comfortable our life is.
Ladybug Hugs,
Debbie